Spanish

St. John Cemetery, Vancouver

Administered by: St. John the Evangelist Parish
8701 NE 119th St.
Vancouver, WA 98662
360-573-3325
Year Established: 1868
Developed Acres: 4

St. John Cemetery, Vancouver

On October 8, 1868, St. John Catholic Cemetery (SW corner of 109th and Maitland Rd) in Vancouver was established. St. John the Evangelist Church in Vancouver administers the cemetery. The 3.55 acres of land was originally owned by Gratian LeBlanc and was donated by Thomas J. Thornton and his wife Cleophine LeBlanc to the Sisters of Providence for the establishment of a church and cemetery.  According to their great granddaughter, Mrs. Maria Jagelski, burials may have been made on the land in anticipation of the church. Rt. Rev. Augustine M. A. Blanchet dedicated the church building erected on this site on November 5, 1868.  In 1907/08, the parish moved to a new location more central to the community it served. That church was replaced in 1950 by the parish’s current structure.  The first documented burial was of Ann Elizabeth Lee in 1869.

Back to listing of Parish Cemeteries
Back to Cemeteries